Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Come Fly With Me

Ben and I went to our Ward Christmas Party this year (not something we have done in the past) and found that they were doing a silent auction for families in need. Ben and I feel so blessed and have been wanting to do something for others this holiday season. The perfect opportunity presented itself when one of the items up for auction was a helicopter tour of Salt Lake City Temple Square while the lights were lit up. We scheduled our tour twice and it was canceled both times because Utah decided that it was kind of close to Christmas and should probably have some snow. Ek. There was a clear up in the weather, but it was really bad timing. I am currently stressing over have to complete finals, and finish up two of my three jobs. Grading papers kind of sucks by the way. So... Ben convinced me that I ought to take a break from school, that it would do me some good, so I drove up to Salt Lake City's airport to board the helicopter. The tour was incredible! We flew over Hogal Zoo, something Ben was unaware of even existing! The lights around the city were so beautiful and you could see Larry H. Miller's house all decked out with lights, which I'm sure he put up all by his self. It was insane that that was actually someone's real home! The temple of course looked so beautiful, it just glows! Ben said that the old chapel looked like a gingerbread house all lit up and there were even ice scaters skating in the park. The pilot and Ben talked about how the skaters looked like the little Christmas villages where you have skaters on magnants that skate around the pond. They were so cute! On our way home, the tower dispatch was announcing that there was a search and rescue going on, which then turned to a search and assist (meaning that they aren't looking to rescue anyone, because they are probably dead). Of course my little news ears perked right up and as soon as we got off the helicopter, I called ABC and told them what I had heard, and asked them if they had caught that through the scanners at the station. They had not, and were very glad that I called. The only down side was that I did get a little motion sick, but not until we were already heading back to the airport. We came home and just enjoyed the rest of the evening relaxing and getting ready for today's finals. I'm almost done with school for this semester, and I couldn't be happier. April is coming, and although the thought scares me a little bit, I am excited for the next chapter in our lives. Whatever that is. Christmas is fast approaching and we are a little worried about the weather going home. Hopefully we'll have no delays. That's all from our neck of the woods right now, hopefully I'll get a post loaded before the New Year, if not, have a GREAT Christmas and a Happy New Year. Be safe and we love you all!

Ben and Megan

The footage I was able to get before my old stupid camera broke!

The Capitol

Ben: Ready for take off!

Hogal Zoo Lights (it's not easy taking pictures in a moving helicopter okay?)


Vickie Blanchard said...

So cool! Are you guys in Utah for Christmas? We're coming out next week and would love to see you!

JJ said...

WAY fun! He didn't know the zoo existed? Weirdo. I've never been in a helicopter, I don't think. It's on my life's to-do list. Congrats on being done with the semester!

briansmithmt said...

Ben did go to the hogle Zoo with the family when he was a kid. 5 years old I think. I guess it wan't one of his memorible experiences.